- Instructor, Family and Community Medicine
- Director, Primary Care Education
- Associate Director, Integrated Pathway Programs
Currently, I am Director of Primary Care Education and hold a faculty appointment in the Department of Family and Community Medicine (DFCM). My higher education career started at Kent State University, then the University of Akron, and now NEOMED. I worked for four years as a manager in a Comprehension, Learning, and Memory research lab at Kent State. During this time, I also served as a practitioner serving students with learning challenges. After working for several years, I decided to pursue my Master of Arts in Education degree and was offered a graduate teaching assistantship at the University of Akron, teaching Educational Psychology. Following the completion of my degree, I joined NEOMED in January 2015 to provide curricular support to medical education initiatives in the College of Medicine (COM), namely the Rural Medical Education (RMED) Pathway. Since then, my role has expanded into a faculty role serving in admissions, diversity, and the curriculum.
Area of Expertise/Research Interests
- Student development theory (Self-authorship)
- Lifespan development theory (Emerging adulthood)
- Constructive developmental pedagogy
- Student-centered learning communities
- Medical education
- Instructional methods and Pedagogy
- Doctor of Philosophy, Cultural Foundations, Kent State University (KSU), Anticipated 2025
- Master of Arts in Education, Social and Philosophical Foundation of Education, University of Akron (UA), 2015
- Graduate Certificate, Higher Education Administration, UA, 2014
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, KSU, 2008
- Bachelor of Arts, Sociology, KSU, 2008
- Instructor, Integrated Pathways Seminar Series (Rural, Urban and Social Justice)
- Medical Interviewing seminar leader, Patient, Physician, and Community (PPC) 1 and 2
- Reflective Practice leader, Patient, Physician, and Community (PPC) 1-5
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement rater, Family Medicine Clerkship
- Course co-director, Social Determinants of Health
Academic & Professional Activities
- Application File Reviewer and Interviewer, College of Medicine, Office of Admissions
- University Representative, Ohio Rural Health Association, State Office of Rural Health
- Voting member, Curriculum Committee, College of Medicine
- Member, Clinical Curriculum Subcommittee, College of Medicine
- Member-at-large, Diversity Council, NEOMED
- Friend of Family Medicine Award, 2021, Ohio Academy of Family Physicians (OAFP)
- Educational Excellence Award, 2018, Department of Family and Community Medicine
- Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG) Volunteer Faculty Award, 2018, NEOMED Leadership Awards
- Faculty Excellence Award, 2016, Area Health Education Center
- Appleman, M., Vossler, J. Longenecker, R., Schmuki, S. & Hoersten, T. Pathways to Rural Practice in Ohio: A medical school collaborative. Ohio Rural Health Conference, Ohio Rural Health Association. Virtual, August 12, 2021.
- Martensen, L., Casapulla, S., DiMario, S., Appleman, M., Heintzelman, J.A., and Longenecker, R. Ohio Rural Physician Training Pathways: Growing the Next Generation of Rural Ohio Physicians. Rural Training Track (RTT) Collaborative Annual Meeting. Virtual, April 8, 2021.
- Appleman, M. and Heintzelman, J.A. Rural Physician Identity Development: The Intersection Between Student Background and Curricular Design. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Annual Medical Student Education Conference. Portland OR, February 1, 2020.
- Heintzelman, J.A., and Appleman, M. A Model for Integrating Social Determinants of Health: An Interactive Online Course for Fourth-Year Medicine Students. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Annual Medical Student Education Conference. Jacksonville FL, February 1, 2019.
- Appleman, M., Lehrer, D., Shelby, C., Spalding, J., Roberts, D., and Tsiris, S. Caring for the Community: Health Coach Training and Service for Medical Students in a Rural Pathway Program. Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Annual Medical Student Education Conference. Anaheim CA, February 11, 2017.
- Appleman, M. and Sperling, D. (2020, March). Myth Busters: Family Medicine Edition. Ignite Magazine, 21(1), 20-22.